2021 AWARD WINNERS
Geelong Advertiser named media outlet of the year
The Geelong Advertiser was named the Rural Press Club of Victoria (RPCV) media outlet of the year in a virtual presentation last night
The awards ceremony recognised the state’s top journalists and photographers for their work during the past year.
The newspaper claimed the prestigious title ahead of two finalists – the Hamilton Spectator and ABC Goulburn Murray.
The Geelong Advertiser editor Elise Potter accepted the award.
RPCV vice president Bryce Eishold said the media outlet of the year finalists were at the forefront of some of the biggest news stories.
In its 180th year, judges described the Geelong Advertiser as a “powerhouse” of local reporting, and Eishold agreed.
“It continues to find causes to champion and news to break, all while maintaining a local angle,” he said.
Harrison Tippet from the Geelong Advertiser was Journalist of the Year.
Judges were especially impressed on his reporting of the local ice scene and the warmth and compassion in his writing.
The Ray Frawley Young Journalist of the year was Jedda Costa from ABC Gippsland. The depth and breadth of her contributions were a standout for the judges.
Morgan Hancock from the Warrnambool Standard won Photographer of the Year, in a closely contested contest including Darren Howe from the Bendigo Advertiser and Cath Grey from the Riverine Herald and Shepparton News.
Media outlet of the year
- Winner- Geelong Advertiser
- Commended- Hamilton Spectator
- Commended- ABC Goulburn Murray
Photographer of the year
- Winner- Morgan Hancock – Warrnambool Standard
- Highly commended- Darren Howe- Bendigo Advertiser
- Commended- Cath Grey – Riverine Herald and Shepparton News
Journalist of the Year
- Winner- Harrison Tippet- Geelong Advertiser
- Highly commended- Charmayne Allison – Shepparton News
Ray Frawley Young Journalist of the Year
- Winner- Jedda Costa, ABC Gippsland
- Highly commended- Caitlin Cassidy, Shepparton News
Photography (general interest)
- Winner- Morgan Hancock – Warrnambool Standard
- Commended- Kate Healy – Ballarat Courier
- Winner- Rodney Braithwaite – Shepparton News
- Highly commended- Colin MacGillivray – North Central Review
- Commended- Darren Howe- Bendigo Advertiser
- Winner- Kate Healy – Ballarat Courier
- Highly commended- Darren Howe – Bendigo Advertiser
- Commended- Cath Grey – Riverine Herald
News story (online)
- Winner- Christopher Testa- ABC Mildura, Swan Hill – “Vaccine shortage”
- Highly commended- Else Kennedy – Sunraysia Daily – “Water minister”
- Commended- Matt Neal – ABC Warrnambool – “Mystery solved”
News story (radio)
- Winner- Mim Cook, ABC Gippsland ‘Last passenger train over Stratford bridge’
News story (TV)
- Winner – Peter Somerville – ABC Gippsland – “Milking a dire situation”
- Highly commended- Jedda Costa – ABC Gippsland – “Gippsland floods”
News story (print)
- Winner – Elspeth Kernebone – Bendigo Advertiser – “Care U-Turn”
- Highly commended- Caitlin Cassidy – Shepparton News – “Boys caught singing chant”
- Commended- Eve Lamb – Midland Express – “Blaze spotlight dog attacks”
- Commended- Blair Burns – Hamilton Spectator – “Vaccinations begin”
- Winner – Toby Prime – Geelong Advertiser – “Every second counts”
- Highly commended- Alexandra Treloar – ABC – “Domestic abuse survivor Kim O’Reilly calls for football clubs to ban violent men”
- Commended- Meg Saultry – Riverine Herald – “Refused to race, now a winner”
Feature story (TV)
- Winner- Tim Lee – ABC Landline – “The myxo mystery – the first virus ever used to eradicate a feral pest”
- Commended- Jedda Costa – ABC Gippsland – “Put her name on it”
Feature story (online)
- Winner- Rhiannon Stevens, ABC Online – “On the tail of an eel”
- Highly commended- Dale Webster – The Regional – “Big four banks casting a dangerous shadow in regional Australia”
- Commended – Alexander Darling – ABC Wimmera – “The Dry brings new life to Victorian town Beulah after drought, fire and difficult two years”
Feature story (radio)
- Winner- Sian Johnson – ABC South West – “Moyjil – could it rewrite our history”
- Highly commended – Mim Cook – ABC Gippsland – “Found your song”
- Commended- Peter Somerville – ABC Gippsland – “Sheep to shawl”
Feature story (print)
- Winner- Sue Smethurst – RM Williams Outback Magazine – “The high-flying rebel”
- Highly commended- Harrison Tippet – Geelong Advertiser – “Out in the cold”
- Commended- Caitlin Cassidy – Shepparton News – “One family 23 heroes”
- Winner- Sue Neales – The Weekly Times – “Barry Irvin profile”
- Highly commended- Tim Lee – ABC Landline – “Timber trouble”
- Commended- Natalie Kotsios – The Weekly Times – “Neighbourly gesture”
- Winner – Tim Lee – ABC Landline – “A sting in the tail”
- Highly commended – Sue Neales – The Weekly Times – “Beef baron”
- Commended- Else Kennedy – Sunraysia Daily – “New approach reaping rewards”
For more information contact: Simone Smith 0438847742 or firstname.lastname@example.org