Geelong Advertiser wins Media Outlet of the Year at Rural Press Club of Victoria awards
The Geelong Advertiser has been named Media Outlet of the Year for the second time at the Rural Press Club of Victoria’s Journalism & Photography Awards,
held at South Wharf in Melbourne on Friday, August 21.
The newspaper claimed the prestigious title, finishing ahead of the Latrobe Valley Express, and the Weekly Times.
The judging panel faced a daunting task weighing up and comparing the merits of a wide range of media outlets, the difficulty reflected the high standards
being maintained in an increasingly challenging media market.
However, the Advertiser came out in front in its 175th year, rewarded for its unflinching journalism, including its exposure into a culture
of bullying in the Geelong council.
The Geelong Advertiser’s Mandy Squires was named Journalist of the Year, ahead of colleague Danny Lannen, and Peter Hemphill of The Weekly Times.
The judging panel said Mandy delivered compelling content across subjects as diverse as uncovering the ice epidemic in Geelong and exposing bullying within
Glenn Daniels of the Bendigo Advertiser was named Photographer of the Year, edging out Brendan McCarthy of the Bendigo Advertiser, and Josh Nash, of the
A highly competitive field in the Ray Frawley Young Journalist of the Year showed that the future is in good hands.
The award was presented to Kara Irving of the Ballarat Courier. Bethany Tyler of the Geelong Advertiser was awarded Highly Commended, while Richard Koenig
of the Hamilton Spectator was awarded Commended for his work over the past 12 months.
The awards took place on Friday 21 August in front of 130 people, including 110 of Victoria’s leading rural and regional media.
The other winners were:
- Chris McLennan, The Weekly Times (Best Regional News Story)
- Jeanette Severs, Stock & Land (Foot on the gas) (Best Rural News Story)
- Danielle Grindlay, ABC Country Hour (Best Feature Series – Broadcast)
- Donna Kelly, The Local (Best Feature Series – Non-daily papers)
- Mandy Squires, Geelong Advertiser (Best Feature Series – Daily & State-based papers)
- Nikolai Beilharz, ABC Country Hour (Best Feature Story – Broadcast)
- Tessa Hayward, Hamilton Spectator (Best Feature Story – Non-daily papers)
- Nigel McNay, Border Morning Mail (Best Feature Story – Daily & State-based papers)
- Mandy Squires, Geelong Advertiser (Best Campaign, including social media)
- Emily Bissland, ABC Open South West Victoria (Best Multimedia)
- Shannon Twomey, The Weekly Times (Best Agriculture Story)
- Peter Hemphill, The Weekly Times (Best Business Story)
- Alex Oates, Geelong Advertiser (Best Sports Story)
- Michael Dugdale, Geelong Advertiser (Best News Photographer)
- Brendan McCarthy, Bendigo Advertiser (Best General Interest Photography)
- Julie Mercer, Shepparton News (Best Sports Photography)
- Glenn Daniels, Bendigo Advertiser (Photographer of the Year)
- Kara Irving, Ballarat Courier (Ray Frawley Young Journalist of the Year)
- Mandy Squires, Geelong Advertiser (Journalist of the Year)
- Geelong Advertiser (Media Outlet of the Year)